2.09.2007

4 Books to start on the right foot

This afternoon, I've enriched my library with the re-edited version of the bestseller Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill.


I can't really give a review of this book, since I've just started reading it. But I've already noted some interesting points by going quickly through the chapters.








I've been hearing about The 24 Laws Of Power, by Robert Greene for years before actually seeing one exemplary of the book. So I was excited to have it; I thought it would help me make my ambition & my creativity grow, I was also expecting to find the remedy to procrastination.

Well, that's not what exactly happened. The laws are useful, but so obvious. It looks more like a history book to me.

Honestly, don't expect anything special from this book.
It could help you keep in mind the fundamental Do's & Don't 's in business, but not more.
Since some people said this book changed their lives, I won't tell you "Don't lose your time purchasing it."


One can't aspire to become rich if he doesn't undertand how economics work. There are things we have no control over & macroeconomics is one of them. Understanding how banking systems work, why rich countries are rich & poor countries are poor or simply how supermarkets and all the services we are paying for manage to vacuum the money from our wallets so easily are helpful. Being able to see the world through an economist eye will help you save a lot of money & even better, take advantage of the system. Don't just be a blind consumer who believe every discount rate is indeed a discount rate.

I am sure you want to stop rushing into those buy-one-get-one-free items.

Economics becomes interesting only from the moment you find how useful it is in your everyday life.


I recommend you FREAKONOMICS by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner. It's a funny book to read. Plus you'll learn a lot of interesting things like why drug dealers live with their mothers or the things estate agents and the Ku Klux Klan have in common (ummm, now I didn't fgure out that one yet, but I'm sure you're as curious as me now).








Another book I've just purchased today seems really interesting. The Undercov£r Economist by Tim Harford is the book answering all the questions we, as consumers NEVER ask ourselves.

So, I'm reading it, I'll let you know about what this book teach me in few days. I expect to stop spending my money like crazy in 2 weeks. I'm not saying it, Steven D Levitt does, it is a REQUIRED READING. So go ahead & spend some money on it.
It would be interesting if you are reading or if you read any of these books to share your critics and also recommend good books you've read & that helped you in a way or another.
Enjoy your reading :)

No comments: